- Double check the air pressure in your tires and make sure it is correct. You can check the door plaque on the driver’s side of the vehicle to see the manufacturer’s recommended pressure. Don’t forget to check your spare tire!
- Check the depth of the tread on your tires. To make sure your tread is deep enough try the penny trick. Insert a penny in the tread – if the tread doesn’t go to or cover Lincoln’s head you need new tires.
- Check your washer fluid to make sure it is filled with non-freezing fluid. On vans or SUVs don’t forget your rear washer fluid.
- Check your coolant level on the overflow container. There is a mark on the container showing the level for a hot or cold vehicle.
- Check your oil level using the fill lines on your dipstick.
- Check your transmission fluid. Usually you can find the directions to do this on your transmission’s dipstick or in your owner’s manual. Some cars do not have a dipstick, if so, you can bring them to one of our locations where we have the equipment to check them. One of our technicians will do this free of charge.
- Check your wiper blades to make sure they are not torn or broken. If you have an SUV or a van don’t forget to check your rear wiper. It is recommended that you check your wipers yearly.
- You might want to purchase and/or assemble an emergency kit to carry in your vehicle. It should include a blanket, jumper cables, reflectors, a candle, a flashlight and a hat and gloves. You can find emergency kits at many stores including any Wal-Mart or Target.
Be sure come in to one of our locations this month for a free 32-point inspection! We’ll make sure your car is ready for the road this winter!
Happy Holidays from The St. Louis Transmission Association!